Bookmark and Share

Mental Health

Chemical Dependency Services

vacant, Director 845-291-2616
Regina LaCatena, Program Evaluation Assistant 845-291-2616

What is Chemical Dependency?

Chemical Dependency is a term we use to refer to the broad range of problems associated with Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse. This may include various forms of dependency including Alcoholism and Addiction problems as well as less clearly defined abuses of various substances both legal and illegal.

What services are available?

Types of Treatment and Prevention Services:

There are various types of services that may have a positive affect on persons in regard to their use or potential use of Alcohol and other drugs. They may include "Prevention" activities, which are designed to prevent the use or abuse of substances, "Intervention" activities, which are ways of identifying persons with problems or potential alcohol and substance abuse problems, and "Treatment" activities, which help persons to stop using and abusing substances or recover from the affects of use and abuse. Certain types of these services may be licensed by the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS). Licensed programs are regularly inspected by State and Local government representatives who certify that the programs are in compliance with all standards and regulations.

For assistance in developing new services:
Orange County Department of Mental Health, Office of Chemical Dependency Services 845-291-2616


The "Local Governmental Unit" (LGU), which in Orange County is the Department of Mental Health, can be helpful in providing technical assistance to anyone seeking to provide services in the County. To operate programs, one is required to apply for an operating license from the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS). Conceptual approval of any plan to open a new program is a necessary part of the process. So the first step in seeking to obtain a license to provide alcohol or substance abuse services ("Chemical Dependency Services") in Orange County is to discuss your interest and plans with the Director of Chemical Dependency Services. The Director can advise you concerning the need for any proposed services, as well as current and planned programs that address the same need. Inquiries may be made by calling the Department of Mental Health at 845-291-2600.

If you are not familiar with current licensing regulations or the operations of the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Chemical Dependency Services (OASAS), it would be helpful to review the text of the regulations governing any program that you might be interested in developing. * These regulations may be accessed by internet at the OASAS Web Site: or by contacting the Mid-Hudson Regional Field Office of OASAS 1450 Western Ave., Albany, NY 12203. The OASAS website also has information about training, treatment services available, credentialing and other information.

Work Opportunities:

To work within the field of Chemical Dependency Services in New York State, generally one should hold a current credential as a Qualified Health Professional (QHP). This includes those who hold the State License for Physician (MD, DO), Physician's Assistant (P.A.), Nurse Practitioner, Registered Nurse (RN), Practical Nurse (LPN), licensed Clinical Psychologist, Certified Social Worker (CSW), Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC), Registered Occupational Therapist (OTR, COTA), Therapeutic Recreational Specialist, AAMFT accredited Family Therapist, NBCC certified Counselor, or Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC). In some cases one who is eligible for these certifications or a student in a program leading to certification may work in the field under appropriate supervision. In most cases, the QHP is a basic qualification of working in the field, but must be accompanied by appropriate work experience specific to the field of addiction.

If you are interested in obtaining a credential as a Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC) or Prevention Specialist (CPS or CPP) you may get information at:

Additional information on training and work requirements as well as local educational and training opportunities, contact the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Council of Orange County at its Web Site or call 845-294-9000

Related Links
Obtaining the NYS Addiction Counselor Credential


Files & Documents

Listing files in 'Chemical Dependency'