Specialized Prosecution Units
The District Attorney’s Office is organized to provide the most specialized resources available to serve law enforcement agencies, crime victims, and all of the citizens of Orange County. The units include:
- Special Victims Unit: This unit prosecutes cases including all sex crimes, all domestic violence crime, crimes committed against the elderly, or crimes involving victims with mental or physical handicaps.
- Violent Crimes Unit: This unit prosecutes offenders charged with Violent Felony Offenses, including homicides, assaults, weapons possession, robberies, and burglaries.
- Investigations Unit: This unit prosecutes offenders charged with “white collar” crimes, welfare fraud, official misconduct, public corruption, and vehicular homicides or assaults. The unit also prosecutes arson cases and gang-related crime.
- Narcotics Unit: This unit prosecutes targeted narcotics offenders including all individuals charged with the sale of narcotics or those charged with possession with intent to sell.
- Grand Jury Unit: This unit prosecutes felony cases that are not otherwise assigned to specialized felony prosecution units. This includes all DWI felonies.
- Appeals Unit: This unit is responsible for handling all appellate case work in state and federal courts. The unit also handles all FOIL requests.
- The Local Court Unit: This is the largest single unit in the District Attorney's Office with the heaviest caseload. The unit is broken down into three teams, each team reports to a single supervisor. There are three supervisors and 12 ADAs in the Local Court Unit. They are responsible for prosecuting approximately 17,000 criminal cases in 59 separate Local Criminal Courts. The caseload includes over 1,700 DWI cases and more than 2,000 misdemeanor drug cases annually. The Local Court Unit works under the direction of the Chief Assistant District Attorney. Its members are located in offices at Seward Avenue in Middletown and the Armory Building, on Broadway, in the City of Newburgh.
- Staff Investigators Unit: This unit consists of 10 District Attorney’s Investigators based in Goshen and Newburgh. They are all police officers. Duties include the conduct of independent investigations, support to police agencies, and providing case enhancement for prosecutors.